Course now open
Materials available until 30th August 2022
Delivery: entirely online
Study time: 5 to 7 hrs (or more with optional activities), to be completed at own pace
Assessment: self-assessment quizzes & reflection; auto-generated CPD certificate on completion.
This course outlines key aspects of the care of PDoC patients and the roles of different members of the multi-disciplinary team; it highlights recent clinical guidelines and some of the specialist skills and techniques needed. It is particularly designed for those relatively new to working with this particular patient population but can also be a useful refresher and overview for any member of the MDT. For new staff we recommend doing this course after having completed “Introducing PDoC”.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- list the core medical, nursing and therapeutic needs of PDoC patients
- identify the different professionals involved and describe some specialist interventions they can offer
- explain the nature of a ‘best interests’ decision
- list standardised tests used to assess levels of consciousness and recognise diverse ways in which these may be viewed by families
- outline the value of Multi-Disciplinary Team working, especially for PDoC patients, and reflect on the definition of ‘the Team’
- define your own role in the MDT and consider strategies for enhancing collaborative working among all those involved in supporting PDoC patients
- identify the key guidelines and evidence base for your practice.
How to purchase
- Individuals: use the ‘buy now’ button above & set up your student account (The ‘username’ you choose will display in learner chat) (This is also how you use a coupon code if you’ve been given one by your employer)
- Organisations buying 5+ places, if you wish to be invoiced instead of staff making individual purchases then get in touch. We can also offer bespoke courses for centres, which can include face-to-face workshops. Contact us for details.
Students on placement: we offer 10 free places for placement students. Email your request to Professor Jenny Kitzinger providing 3 or 4 lines about yourself, your placement and why you’d like to join the course.
View other course outlines