CARING FOR PDOC PATIENTS
Course now open
(materials available until 16th June 2022)
How to purchase
- Individuals: use the ‘buy now’ button above & set up your student account (The ‘username’ you choose will display in learner chat) (This is also how you use a coupon code if you’ve been given one by your employer)
- Organisations buying 20+ places, if you wish to be invoiced instead of staff making individual purchases then email: KitzingerJ@cardiff.ac.uk
- Students on placement – scroll down for how to apply for a free place
Explore the complex needs of patients with Prolonged Disorders of Consciousness [PDoC]; reflect on the challenges you face, refine your own skills in providing treatment and working with the MDT to ensure joined up, holistic care.
This course provides an overview of staff roles in the care of PDoC patients. It complements hands-on training within the work place and is particularly useful to those new to this area of work, helping you to gain confidence and focus on how to mobilise your existing skill-sets for this particular patient population. It can also be useful for experienced PDoC practitioners refining their approach to caring for these patients and reflecting on MDT working.
Course open from: 1st May 2022 (til 16th June)
Delivery: The course is entirely online
Interactivity: All our courses have interactive elements (eg polls & quizzes). In addition, when we run a scheduled course there is a cohort of students learning alongside one another who interact via the discussion board, exchange ideas about best practice and pose questions of each other and of the tutor.
Lead tutor/course authors: Professor Jenny Kitzinger & Dr Julie Latchem-Hastings, Cardiff University
Duration of course run: 4 weeks (self-study materials, for completion at own pace. Tutor available online to respond to questions during this time)
Study time involved: 5 to 7 hrs (or more with optional activities)
Assessment: self-assessment quizzes & reflection (auto-generated certification of participation on completion).
Cost: £20 (This gives you individual access to the online course materials until 16th June)
Students on placement: For this course we offer 10 free places to students doing placements in centres that care for PDoC patients. To apply for a free place email Professor Jenny Kitzinger (KitzingerJ@cardiff.ac.uk) with details of your placement, dates of placement and a couple of sentences about why you’d like to do the course.
Note 1: Students need a computer & internet access to do the course – with a microphone to listen to audio & the usual software for playing youtube clips etc. If organising this course from a workplace please check the technology and that there is no firewall block before booking.
Note 2: The fees for this course are currently set simply to cover software licences, website hosting and education technologist input. All receipts/invoices should go to our educational technologist: Liz Fahy at GeckoSurfing. Please let us know if you are a centre wishing to buy 30+ places on the course and an invoice can be sent if you prefer this way of paying.
Example of course content
- Introduction: Course Welcome; Connecting Learners
- Care Practices: Clinical Presentation; Assessment; Core practices (positioning, skin care, splinting etc)
- Core Roles & Skills Physiotherapy; Speech & Language Therapy; Occupational Therapy; Nursing; Dietetics; Clinical Psychology; Doctors; Other Professions. The cross-cutting skills of best interests decision-making
- The Multidisciplinary Team: MDT working; Assessing consciousness; Working with families; The wider team
- Resources & Summary: Professional evidence base and resources: Feedback & Summary
Want more information?
Key learning outcomes and information about how the course was developed can be visited on the course welcome page here: https://cdoctraining.org.uk/module-1/course-welcome-5/