Course opens: 1st September
(Materials will be available for two months – ie until 30th October 2022)
Delivery: entirely online
Study time involved: 8 hours (or more with optional activities), to be done at your own pace
Assessment: self-assessment quizzes & reflection; auto-generated CPD certificate on completion
(Organisation licences are now available for 2023 – to give staff access to all courses for the whole of 2023 – contact us for details)
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- recognise your own values and feelings about life-sustaining treatment and how these could influence your approach to patient care
- outline key principles from the Mental Capacity Act and spell out how these relate to decisions about life-sustaining treatment
- recognise an ‘Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment’ and explain the difference between this and a ‘Best Interests’ decision
- outline the responsibilities of different roles such as Attorney and Deputy, and know how to involve family appropriately in decision-making
- understand how to draw up a ‘best interests’ balance sheet about serious medical treatment
- reflect on recent court cases and discuss the implications for clinical practice
- navigate the latest professional guidance from the Royal College of Physicians and the British Medical Association
- contribute to, or draw up, an action plan to improve best interests decision-making within your team or organisation.
- Individuals: use the ‘buy now’ button above & set up your student account (The ‘username’ you choose will display in learner chat). If your organisation has given you a coupon code this is how you use that.
- Organisations buying 5+ places, if you wish to be invoiced instead of staff making individual purchases then email us. We also run bespoke courses which include in-person workshops. Contact us for details.
Students on placement: we offer 10 free places for placement students. Email your request to Professor Jenny Kitzinger providing 3 or 4 lines about yourself, your placement and why you’d like to join the course.
View other course outlines